Thursday, December 16, 2010

Doing a Rustic wedding on a budget




After planning my own wedding and helping friends, I realized weddings are EXPENSIVE. I have learned to gain inspiration from things you normally wouldn't think twice about. One of the things that make me unique is taking your vintage, barn, or whimsical wedding and make it fit you. I also have a way of shopping on a dime and making things work. I not only have a background in planning events but I also add wood working, painting, and sewing to the list of things that I am learning to do or already know how to do. I want to see something and make it happen for my brides to be.

Here is a few of my inspirational pictures. I will let you know how to turn these into budget friendly ideas. 
Above is a super cute box to hold your guest book notes. You can pretty much find scrap wood anywhere for free, but try craigslist...they almost always have some. Or...check in with anyone that you know that has a barn. Old barn wood adds a ton of characteristics even for other signs(guestbook, wedding this way, thank you pic sign). Then grab a chop saw, wood glue, and 3" screws. Put it together and paint it. If you have no artistic ability than just paint it a solid color with the wedding date on the side. This is something you can keep forever.
Go to Goodwill!!!!!
Get great old vases with character here. You can also save by collecting all glass jars. I had my family save all their jars and had plenty for decoration on the tables and around the yard. You can also go pick wild flowers that add a great rustic touch. Also, above is pie. Yes...PIE... if the feel of your wedding is right than this could be a very neat way to not spend "wedding cake" money.

I love old furniture. Just thought I would share this pic.

Its Nashville...which means there is tons of tallent. Save a ton of money by looking at local tallent. Post something on craigslist and go view them (sometimes you get weirdos on craigslist so make sure you meet them somewhere public). Then hagle, dont settle for the first price they tell you. They need the money so usually you can offer less.

Make homemade treats! Yummy

Instead of using this drink server, look for a gallon size mason jar...grab a laddle with some fresh cut fruit and there you go. I suggest if you are doing a laid back, small wedding than do the alchol yourself. You will save a ton. Just have a non alcholic server than mix up sangria, or spicked lemonade for the adults.

 Windows!!! I love old windows and you can sometime find them for free. These add character by hanging on the trees. You can even get a glass writing pen and make it your guestbook, then hang it in your house as a piece of art you will always remember.
Take fishing line and close hooks with square cut paper and do this guestbook idea

Do a homemade cake topper. This adds a personal touch on something that is usually generic.
I love the smore idea! Great for the after party!

No comments:

Post a Comment